D. Scott Baker is an experienced real estate, land use, and business lawyer. He is board certified as an expert in real estate law by the Florida Bar. Scott joined ZKS in 2006 from the City of Orlando, where he served as a Chief Planner for strategic planning and special projects.
Scott’s transactional practice encompasses all aspects of real estate acquisition, development, management, and disposition. His clients include international investors, national real estate investment companies, and Orlando-based developers and builders.
With over a decade of experience as a Florida land use planner, Scott frequently assists ZKS clients with land use approvals, due diligence studies, and regulatory compliance. He has served as land use counsel for projects ranging in size from Developments of Regional Impact to small-scale land use changes and variances. Scott holds AICP certification from the American Institute of Certified Planners, a national institute of experienced urban planning professionals.
Scott frequently counsels ZKS clients on strategies to avoid and resolve real estate and business disputes, including litigation when necessary to protect his clients’ interests. He has litigated cases throughout Florida involving such matters as commercial foreclosures, covenant enforcement, easement disputes, evictions, and partitions.
Recent Representative Clients and Projects:
- Acquisition and development counsel for Miami-based multi-family developer of market rate infill projects in Orlando core market.
- Florida counsel for rapidly expanding Silicon Valley-based national platform for buying and selling residential real estate.
- Land use counsel for a national developer of luxury retirement communities providing a new assisted living and memory care center in Casselberry, Florida.
- Acquisition and compliance counsel for a major mixed-use recreational resort including condominium, retail, hotel, and marina uses in Polk County, Florida.
- Florida counsel for Brazilian families making targeted, in-bound investments in Central Florida office and retail centers.
- Successfully defended an Argentine bulk condominium purchaser under the Florida Distressed Condominium Relief Act, leading to a reported decision interpreting the Act.
- Represented landowners in securing land use approvals and financial settlements related to eminent domain proceedings for the Interstate 4 and Maitland Boulevard expansion projects.